My second grandson,Scout, was born to the same daughter, Summer, 4 years after Noland arrived. Scout was a bundle of blue eyes and blonde hair and we all adored him from the beginning. I am now into my 40's and getting very used to the new life as "Nana" to Noland and now to this new guy, Scout. My girls who live at home are graduating and getting involved in sports daily so I am tossed into the mold of "Nana needs" and my own needs of being there for the other 3 daughters. My daughter has since moved out of my home when Noland was a toddler,but we still feel the need to nurture him as our"own" since we experienced his every "first" accomplishments together.
Scout grew into a family of "blended" siblings and was the spoiled baby for a couple years. My daughter had since married a new man and Scout you see, is the offspring of a new dad. The brothers bonded though and stay with their mom. Summer divorced when the boys were 4 and 8 and remarried soon after to a younger man...but a more stable man I have yet to meet. I am impressed with the qualities he brings to the family and feel relieved I can now rest my weary "Nana" stance. I do not need to improvise and take over the helm of being a "2nd" parent to my daughters sons.
The boys now live in Oklahoma, which is 18 hours away from me. I miss them like a hole in my side ...daily. But I do know that my daughter made a wise and very optomistic decision to break away from our tied apron-string hold. She and I are better friends and I now admire her strength and her tanacity of becoming the mom I always knew she could be. She is a better human being to everyone and treats herself better in life. I see the boys once or twice a year as they are permitted to live with my husband and I for 2 months in the summer. This is the time that I cling to and surround myself with them in my life. We make the best memories as often and as meaningful as we can. They are 13 and 9 years of ages now. I live for their phone calls and their letters.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You really have a knack for writing heart-felt, personal stories. Again--tears in my eyes as I really felt what you must feel. In the short blog entry, you have conveyed so much information! You should write a novel based on the relationship and experiences of you, your daughter and the boys!
I know you, proud ma and grandma! You didn't write a novel yet, but what you did instead, was writing letters to me for many years! (I was an exchange student, living in the familiy of your husband for one year thanks to the organization "youth for understanding", and I am now, as always, living in Switzerland.) Thanks to your abundant letters and your story-telling, I kept friendship with my dear American family for decades. You shared your rich experiences with me, beeing far away. This summer, 2008 I finally visited you after 27 years. I profited so much from your excellent communication skills, your writing and letters! Thank you.
Post a Comment