My dad grew up in a hard life of a poor farm boy who lived w/his dad and mom in the country. He had a little brother 6 years younger than he was. When my dad was only 11 his father left him and my Grandma and uncle for his "own life". It was to be a hard life for my Grandma from there on. She was given little notice to become a dad and mom both to her sons. Back in the 30's things weren't good for the economy anyhow..so one can imagine this lady's predicament. She took in laundry and did chores for others.She peddled eggs and sheered sheep and sold wool. She was the organist at the country church 900 yards down her road for 60 years plus. She never gave up ...this woman perseveered throughout her life.
My dad married his high school sweetheart and lived at the same home w/ his mom for yet another year. Grandma was "courted" by a widower and they got married a year after my parents. Grandma moved 5 miles away to his farm and dug deep into a new life. Another hard life of struggling to pay the bills and feed many. This new Grandpa had 7 children. All were adults by then but they had a farm to work and Grandma was the new woman on the homefront.
She became a grandma at an early age and was a step mom to many also. I don't know the true count but my parents gave her 6 grandkids and my uncle gave her 3. Her new step grandkids were so numerous I don't know the amount. She loved all as her own. She sacrificed many hours on the farm. Peddled eggs into the nearby town for 30 more years. Still played the organ weekly and had family reunions for the rest of her life. I got to stay overnight at the farm and joined my step cousins in play occasionally. At 52 my Grandma became a "surrogate" mom to her new step granddaughters who were only 4 and 2 years old. She did a superb job of giving her time to them on into their adult lives. She balanced out her 2 families and mixed them together. She taught us all a lesson in the big picture. You must make the best of what the Lord has given you. No one can change it for you. Strong willed folks come out ahead. To be weak and tender, just makes one feel last place.
I learned to cook some dishes mostly by watching and listening to Grandma's ways. She never asked a soul to assist her in her kitchen. She was so unselfish I could some days just scream at her to not try soooo hard!
When my Grandma was in her early 80's she passed away from cancer. Her 2nd husband lived to be 96. She was always afraid she wouldn't have him to lean on and the table was turned. She sacrificed her entire life to 2 men and a herd of children,grandchildren, step children and step grandchildren.
My favorite memory of being with Grandma was when in her better health, I treated her to lunch one day about 5 miles away from her home. She had never been" out to lunch as we called it and that was a miracle to me to even sweep her away in my van for a few stolen hours.
If I were to sum up her life in a few words...I'd have to say"she sacrificed for others daily".
To this day, I miss this woman fiercely. She instilled many a brave viewpoint in my bones. She gave me the best guidelines for me to build my strength on becoming a good wife and mom to my girls. Later I think this has left a mark on me to become an unselfish grandma myself. To give to others what they need more than yourself is far better than to be greedy with one's own free time.
Thank you Grandma, thank you for everything you ever gave to me. I remember it all!
Friday, November 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment